Preventing Accidents at Work with Trailers
People are killed and seriously injured each year at work as a result of not using trailers safely. We have put together some tips that we hope you will find useful and help prevent accidents.
- Do-not place heavy loads behind the axel because it will cause trailer snaking which is very dangerous for yourself and other road users.
- Ensure the hitch is locked on the ball and that the correct size ball is being used.
- Check that the safety cables/chains are securely connected.
- Make sure the electrical connection is plugged in and secured.
- Make sure the breakaway system is connected and secured.
- Check lights for the brakes and turn signals, as well as running and perimeter lights.
- Test the brake controller to ensure that it’s working properly.
- Secure and latch all trailer doors.
Towing Solutions offer a full practical training course that will help prevent accidents at work including:
- Pre-towing inspection routine
- Safe loading and overhangs
- Snaking and instability control
- Safe manouvering
A certificate of achievement is awarded by the National Trailer & Towing Association which is the leading body within the UK towing industry.